Sunday, August 11, 2013

Lessons

Today in  church, Rod spoke, and I presented the lesson in Relief Society.  They both went pretty well, but it got me thinking about lessons.  In the mission field 'lessons' usually means the lessons you have taught to investigators.  We had a very nice one this week on the atonement with our little odd guy.  He was hung up on the idea that you have to ask forgiveness of those you have wronged and since you often can't contact them, you are stuck.  Rod had him read in Alma where Alma Jr describes his repentance,  how it felt to know  the bitterness of his sins, how if felt to know he was forgiven.  He hadn't had the chance to ask forgiveness from those he had wronged at that point, but he was still forgiven, through the atonement.  I never noticed that before.  It truly is one of the miracles of the atonement though. 
Last Sunday, none of our Philippine members made it to church.  It is a very long way for them to come by bus.  I think they have to catch the first bus around 7 am to get here in time for Sacrament meeting, so it is hard, but they are so very faithful and almost always make it. Right now, many of the families they work for have visitors and so they must stay at work to clean and cook for everyone.  We missed them so very much last week.  They often don't say a whole lot and rarely give lessons, but their faith is a tangible force.  Today one couple said they finally finished work at 1 am this morning, but  they still made it to church.    I am such a wuss.  Anyway, during the lesson I gave in RS today, I asked Lydia to share her feelings about the difference the church had made in her life.  She had mentioned to me at the end of Sunday School the joy being a member brought her so she explained that again for us in RS and wow, what a difference she brought to 'my' lesson on 'Faithful Energetic Service in the Kingdom of God'.  She told how being a member brought her such joy and comfort.  Her friends ask why she goes to Fuengirola for church?  They say there are lots of churches close to by so why go so far.  She told them that this church brings joy to her heart and she can see and feel it in other members, even in a group where she doesn't know the people.  The things we take for granted!!!  Lydia is the only member in her family and she is supporting her kids back in Philippines so they can get good educations, by cooking and cleaning here.  Not only does she come to church, she brings friends with her.  By plain and simple things great works are brought to pass!  Soooo in teaching 'the lesson' I learn a greater one.  As Always!
Another lesson I am always having to relearn.  The more time and effort I put into my daily scripture and language study, the more satisfied I am with my work and efforts here on the mission. I sorely miss my kids.  I long to hug and play with my grandkids.  My friends are far away. I keep wishing I could go to a studio and practice making ceramics.  I miss my house and garden. But...all these things bother me so much less, when I am working to do the things missionaries should do. Seniors don't really have the same rules as the young missionaries, but I need to live closer to what they do to get the blessings.  As I said, I am relearning this lesson.
The past week was a 'normal' week.  We had 6 missionaries (the overflow that don't fit in the mission home) stay with us Monday night while they were here for meetings.  We sent off Elder Jackson  Thur morning at 3 am.  His sister is leaving for her mission very soon after he arrives home so he finished his mission outside of the usual release schedule.  We will head off to Elche tomorrow.  We are doing apartment checks and then seeing the passion play there.  It is centuries old.  That is my companion.  He always finds cool things to experience.  We are also looking to buy some leather and that is the 'leather capital' of Spain.  Sooo expect  photos next week.  Meanwhile, have a wonderful week

2 comments:

Geevz said...

We miss you too! I'm glad you are getting spiritually fed by your members. I spent 85% of church catering to a crying baby so it is nice to be reminded I still have it very easy in regards to worship.

Elena said...

I want to hug you too! I find that the more time I spend reading my scriptures and praying the more fulfillment I find in my everyday life, just like you! It's a lesson we all have to constantly relearn. I love you! Have a wonderful time in Elche!