Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The field is White

I'm Baaack.  Better late than  never, right?  We had another busy week so I am off schedule.  Since I love you all, and I know how much I enjoy every single photo and word that you post about your life, I am assuming you enjoy getting updates from us too, so here I am.
The big event of the past week is our baptisms.  Yes, that is plural!!!  This is one of the big miracles of this huge transfer.  One of the sacrifices that the missionaries make while in the office is a huge reduction in time for proselyting.  Rod has worked with the Elders to help them find ways to continue to squeeze in proselyting, but it is very hard.  The office will eat up every second if you let it, even in 'normal' times.  Soooo our office elders worked on keeping a balance and the Lord rewarded their efforts, as is almost always true, through the members.  An amazing Philippine couple in our branch shared their testimonies with some friends and now those friends are members of our branch.  Hey everyone, it isn't that hard!  Sister P was talking with her friend who is divorced, and her daughter who has had some serious health problems.  She offered her prayers and support during the daughter's surgery and invited the branch to join in those prayers.  Later, she shared with her friend the power and gift of faith in God that comes through this gospel.  As the missionaries taught her, the friend struggled with the idea of forgiveness, especially of the ex husband.  She was finally able to let go of that burden of anger and resentment toward him. Isn't the atonement amazing?  They were baptized a week ago Sunday, and confirmed this past Sunday.  Since Sunday is their only day off, the baptism had to be on Sunday and we had to wait to hold it till after the Spanish ward was done with their meetings.  During that 'wait time', we had everyone over to our house for sandwiches, which was fun.  It was especially nice because I always feel bad that they go for so long without a meal on Sundays.  The baptism was amazing because the daughter is deathly afraid of being under water, especially 'deep' water and of being 'pushed under backwards'.  We waited patiently and prayed while she got her courage up.  She was nearly in tears.  Finally, she gave our branch president the nod and was baptized.  I never even considered that the actual baptism would be so hard for people but it has been!  After they were baptized, they bore their testimonies.  You do know that 'public speaking' is the most common phobia among adults in the US.  I assume here too.  They bore beautiful testimonies then and again after their confirmations last Sunday.  We may have to learn Tagalog though.  For part of the time, the Philippine speakers outnumbered the English speakers.  I have noticed a visible change in Sister S 's face since her baptism.  She really does GLOW.  The darkness of her anger and resentment are gone now.  What a blessing!  We know how hard living the gospel sometimes is and I at least, used to feel reluctant to ask people to change their lives.  (It isn't us asking!) What we often don't realize is that living the gospel is so much easier than living without it.  We can leave our burdens in the Lord's hands.  We don't have to haul them around all the time.  We have confidence that He is In Charge, and therefore the trials we have to bear, while hard, will be worth it in the end. Others just endure day after day with no hope of ultimate success.  We Know He loves us.  The world feels lost and alone, trying to buy happiness in fun and diversion.  It doesn't work.  Only the Gospel brings that calm Joy that lasts. 
So...... Share it!
Okay, I can't keep up the spirituality for too long.  I'm getting better, but still not good. ???
We spent last Fri-Sat in Merida again.  We wanted to get together with the other Senior Couples and the rest of them hadn't seen it.  We are also hosting Flat Emma for my niece's daughter.  I have to admit I had a good time composing photos that would be fun for 2nd graders. That complex is still a stunning sight.  We almost stayed for an extra night. They were putting on' Carmen' in the Roman Theater.  If it had been something besides opera we probably would have done it, but it would have meant missing church Sunday or driving half the night, and starting the week tired out, so we decided not to do it.  Maybe another time.
Here are a few of the photos from the weekend.  (I didn't take any at the baptism. I guess I was distracted)


The Elders doing a 'Vaughn'!

Oh Sisters what, what shall we do?


We visited the hippodrome for the first time.  On your Mark!  I want to see Ben Hur now.

The olives are getting ripe now.  I still am amazed at how many acres of trees there are and new ones being planted all the time.  These Spaniards love them their olive oil
Love you all!

1 comment:

Todd said...

Yes, we do enjoy reading what is going on, and seeing pictures.

I must say that I felt very close to you this last week, from afar. I had been asked to assist in the Primary activity, and dress up as Nephi. Well, I decided that I wanted to work on a costume, so I took the girls with me and went to Hancock Fabrics and found some things I wanted. So, yes, I did go a little overboard, but I ended up dyeing an old undershirt brown, and sewing on some material as trim, and then making bracers for my forearms and legs. And I made a belt and a headband. Well, while I was in the fabric store a lady said to me, "Oh, are you a dad who sews?" I told her that I decidedly was NOT such a dad, and that I have a fear of sewing machines that aren't set up for me by an expert. Something about bobbins and I just don't seem to mix. I told her that I planned on using sticky or hot glue, but then I got home, and my competitive pride goaded me into trying. I got out Sara's sewing machine, and took some time getting it set up, and loaded, having to download the instructions for a couple of things, but at last I got it all set up. So, I sewed my costume together, and went into the wee hours doing so. And I even ironed out stuff, and tried to do it correctly. Needless to say, it was overkill for a Primary activity, but it was strangely fun, and made me feel close to you. So, I guess all this is to say that one of the blessings of your service as missionaries is that we get access, in many small ways, to your talents that we don't get to enjoy directly.

Love you and think about you often.