Sunday, February 2, 2014

January was a birthday month

This was the 'magic' birthday for Rod.  He was born in 57 and on Jan 14 he turned... 57!  We got to the office and found this!
 

It isn't really too surprising actually.  You see, he calls all the missionaries on their birthdays and wishes them happy birthday.  As you might guess, there is usually some teasing involved too.  Especially if other missionaries share the same birthday.  There have been some long drawn out stories of how his or her mom didn't want to tell, but there was a sibling separated at birth and they just happened to be sent to the same mission....  You get the idea.


Elder Castillo is deeply loved by all the missionaries. Elder S from Mexico left him this as he was returning home.  (We now have good reasons to go to the Mexico City temple)
The office elders even put this clock on the wall!

We had missionaries over for cake and ice cream.  We introduced  Elder P to carrot cake!  "Muy rico!"

The hats were lots of fun.

The sisters came over and brought surprises, including a 'popper' which spread glitter and confetti all over the apartment...in light fixtures and everywhere.

Creativity from Elder G

A hand made card from Sister R! Very clever!


The whole branch went to Sister L's birthday party after Sacrament meeting.


That is Sister L in the orange jacket.  She made all the food for it too.  Guess what! I like Philippine food!
I don't remember mentioning my birthday on the blog.  I received texted birthday wishes from most every missionary in the mission.  (I think the APs started it)  I do admit it made me feel loved.

 Do any of our kids remember the days when you would regularly ask Dad which of 'his kids' he was referring to in various conversations, because he might mean 'his kids' from school or 'his kids' from church or he might mean you, the members of our immediate family?  Well, I hate to break it to you, but now that includes a large group of missionaries from all over the world.  They have grown so dear to us and apparently we to them too.  Seems to be how these things work.  The Lord loves these young people so much.  They work so very hard and want so badly to do everything perfectly.  They are just amazing!!!!!  To anyone who reads this blog, please pray for the missionaries daily, and invite them over to eat with you occasionally.  Even better,  invite someone else over to meet them, when you have them over for dinner.  You will make the missionaries' day!
We love you all, and are thankful for all your support!!! Keep up the good work!






2 comments:

Elena said...

I definitely remember asking which kids he was talking about. I'm glad to know that the missionaries are taking care of you and dad. I love you!

Daniel and Bonita said...

Hello my dear sister...this is Bonita and I am so sad that I was at church and missed your call today...not sad that I was at church, but that I missed talking to you! :) I sure do love you!