Sunday, March 1, 2015

Feburary is fading!

Life is just too exciting to record here.  What, you don't believe me?  I'm Hurt! Okay, you're right.  I just didn't get around to writing last week, or was it two weeks? 
Just so you don't think I have forgotten you, here is our update.  We continue to unpack. Surprise!  There is just one more load of boxed  (I know I said that last time. I hope this time it's true.) We actually sold off the white sofa and tables.  Thank you Craig's list and of course second daughter for showing us how to use it!  This last load of boxes included the storied Spiderman Collection!  For those of you who thought he was exaggerating.... Seeing is believing
 

"But it's Mine!"




The shirts and hats pile.

 
 
 
These two shelves are all that he let himself keep!  What discipline!
 
He kept sentimental treasures and things he can actually use.  He took the comic books, and lots of the unopened things around to comic book stores and used book stores and managed to sell all but one last box full of treasures.  We are thinking we will bequeath most of this to grandchildren. Sorry kids!
 
Next came a big project that I have been putting off.  The wing back chairs were kept but needed to be reupholstered.  This is not my favorite kind of project.  The only problem is I am just too cheap to pay  to have someone else do it when I can, so we dove in this week.

The time consuming part is taking it all apart!  Millions of staples!   Since Rod was anxious to have it done, I delegated this part of the job.
 It is kind of appalling how flimsy most furniture is now.  But hey, it works.  You just take it apart, cut out new pieces using the old as a pattern, and put it all back again..... If only it were that easy.
Part way undone.

The pieces waiting to be cut out. 

The next hurdle is getting up the nerve to cut the new fabric.  It was rather expensive if you ask me, but it was the only one we found that we both liked. ( I'm pretty sure we spent under $3 a yard for the red material)

First I made the cover for the seat cushion.  Remember, stripes must match or it looks terrible!  Remind me why we picked a fabric with a design that had to be matched....  Ohhh and another favorite.... Piping.  That is the tiny tube that goes around the edge of the cushion.  It is much easier to make and apply now that I spent the money for the snazzy sewing machine foot that is made just for this.  It makes all the difference.  As they say, 'the right tool is half the job'.  Oh and notice, he painted the legs black!  They look so nice!

Next the seat, wings and arms.  Did you know that they use stiff paper to give the smooth shape to the inside of the arms?

Next the back. 
 Hey if I don't give you a blow by blow description, I will never get credit for all the work that went into redoing them.  Well, that isn't actually true.  My husband has been so tickled with them, he has remarked on how nice they look at least 5 times a day since we finished.

Checking it out to see if it feels right!

I can collapse now.  They are DONE!!!

Yes, they do look nice.  And.... the stripes do match!!!  Ta Dah! 
 
We also put in our 'garden'.  I'll put up photos of that next week.  I continue to spend a couple of days a week with Mom, though she continues to improve.  Her energy is lower that before but she is still working at the temple and planning and cooking the usual big family dinner for tomorrow.  We are so thankful for her good health!  We have been greatly blessed!!!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! Those chairs really did turn out nice, and I am impressed with how much of his collection my uncle was able to part with!

Geevz said...

Those look FANTASTIC! Great job!

Daniel and Bonita said...

I can't wait to see the chairs in person...they are beautiful!! (PS This is Aunt "B", not mom)

Elena said...

I'm so proud of you! I know you much you hated redoing those chairs last time. They do look pretty wonderful. See you in a couple of weeks!

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure we'll have most of the projects done in our house so you won't have to do much when you come but relax :)