Sunday, April 10, 2016

Joys of Grandmothering

You will hear many people complain of the trials of aging...and they are real!  Health problems increase, though I really can't complain in that department! (Thanks Mom and Dad for the amazing genetics !) There are many more aches and pains, less energy and focus, aging parents... and lots of things to worry about but little one can really do.  On the other hand, at least in my case, the blessings far outweigh the difficulties.
 
 
I am able to indulge my love of ceramics.  I am gaining some skill and am liking a larger percent of the things I make.  I make the gravy/syrup pitchers to give as wedding gifts to our missionaries along with a waffle iron.   Those that know of our family tradition of waffle nights will understand.  Each one is very different, so if you don't like the one you received, let me know and I'll try again.  The tea cups are to finish out the Christmas gifts I gave the grand kids last year.  One mom was worried that they'd break...but you see that is the beauty of it.  A broken dish means I get to try and make another...hopefully better...one.  So Moms, use those dishes!  Let me know if anyone has any requests.  (the white cacti are in process Geeves)
 
 I have been working to make tall objects and had little success, so I was excited that this one turned out.  In order to make a taller piece, I threw two shorter tubes and attached them.  I was especially excited that the glaze turned out so cool.  It was Bubbles!  Soap in thinned glaze, and a straw produced the bubbles which I scooped out onto the vase.  I love it!
 
My cute daughter gave me a riding lesson for Christmas!  It was such fun!!! I am not sure I want to put the time and effort into getting back into it as a regular activity, but I loved my lesson!  I was given two certificates in the theory that we would go together, but that didn't work, so I gave the second to my 9 year old granddaughter, because I remember very clearly how I felt about horses at her age and she seems to share that.  I couldn't photograph myself but I got quite a few of her lesson. 

Leading her horse 'Spirit" to be saddled.


Learning about grooming and saddling her mount! It's really dirty and they were shedding!

Ready to go!

That's an English saddle, a different thing than the western she had ridden before.

Starting off!

She is paying close attention to the teacher!  Her seat and reins are just right!

She has already learned to post....the lift that English riders use at a trot.

The teacher helping her improve her balance!

Playing round the world...turning all the way around in the saddle
 It was such fun.  We may have to see about a summer lesson or two.

We met up at the Mesa Arts Center for the Spark festival.  I wasn't quite as impressed this year but we still had a great time!
Sand on a light table...the flash kind of ruined the light part!
The best part for the little ones is still the water, so while the big kids did some of the crafts, we watched the waders.
 I didn't get it in a photo but the best exchange of the day was when M found a rock and threw it.  He had picked up a second one and Poppop said not to throw it....so he tossed it a little way.  He picked up a third rock and got the glare...so he gave it a small toss and said "It Fell"!  So funny!


cold!

 The temp doesn't slow anyone down.
 These guys were happy in the water for quite a long time and we were delighted to watch.


Mom watched too...holding the treasures.

Then he requested a snow cone.  We joined in too!

 
We are sooooo very blessed to live close to our sweet kids.  We are thankful they love and get along with each other so well and are willing to share their lives with us!

3 comments:

Katie said...

It is such a wonderful blessing that you live so near so many of them! And I love all your awesome creations!

Geevz said...

I love the bubble glaze! So cool!

Todd said...

Ooh, I have a ceramics request! I'd like a butter dish, with a cover. I don't know what all that entails, but that would be something that I'd use frequently. You're wonderful, mamma. Love you tons!