Monday, March 31, 2014

Thanks

I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting about preparing for General Conference.  During my preparation for that talk, I was reminded that one of the best ways for me to humble myself and keep my heart open to what the Lord wants me to learn, is to concentrate on my many blessings, to  cultivate a sense of gratitude for my many blessings.  With my blessings in focus, in the forefront of my mind, it is easy for me to submit myself to the will of my gracious Heavenly Father.  This is an area I always seem to need work on.  Our missionaries have been such stellar examples of that attitude of gratitude.
A few months ago, the APs (assistants to the President for those unfamiliar with missionary lingo) were shifted to Malaga rather than Fuengirola.  That means they have a 1/2 hour drive when they come to work on transfers or 'do the numbers' (collect the statistics for the mission performance each week.  This info must be entered into the computer and so must be done in the office). They come to Fuengirola each Sunday night and then must be here Monday morning to finish their report and attend staff meeting.  In order to save them that hour of travel time each week, we have them come for supper Sunday evenings, they go to the office and work, then spend the night here.  In the morning, they exercise with Rod and then head back to the office.  We get the chance to spend time with some of the best missionaries in the mission and having someone else here gets Rod up to exercise.  Both are excellent returns on any investment of time we make.   They have all been very appreciative.  The current pair brought this a couple of weeks ago. 

 
A card, flowers, and chocolate.  They know how to make this girl feel appreciated.
Our office elders invited us over to their apartment for supper.  Again, what a sweet, thoughtful way to demonstrate their appreciation to Rod and I.  It really is a much greater sacrifice for them to feed us than visa versa.  Their time and resources are much more restricted.  I was deeply touched and thankful.





It was delicious too!! 
 
 
We got to go to zone conference in Murcia last week.  Having helped to cook for missionaries, I was impressed by the wonderful members that cook for the missionaries.  These are professional cooks of course and they are paid for their time and materials, but I suspect they are not getting paid top dollar.  They do, however, provide amazing meals for bout 80 missionaries. 
 
This is real paella.  It was delicious.
This was just the main dish.  There were side dishes and dessert too. The elders that you see are taking food into the rest of us, serving us our meal. 
I am thankful for my cute husband's sense of humor.  He brings a joy and energy to this mission that would be difficult to find otherwise.  He has been trying to get these two missionaries together since they arrived.  Look at the name tags.
They are Chapel and Ward.  We are hoping for an Elder Bishop to finish up the set. 
I had to grab a photo with this young lady.  She was baptized last Sunday.  She has been learning about the Church at least since we arrived.  She finally took the leap of faith and made those marvelous covenants.  How thankful I am to know her and others who have had the faith and strength to change their lives.  I am not sure I could if I hadn't been born to it.  How often we take our membership for granted!  How simple it seems to be baptized. 


Another miracle was manifest yesterday.  A sweet sister we have known for some time, came to church and held out her hand, inviting me to smell her new perfume.  It was a hand with no smell of cigarette smoke on it.  She was almost giddy with joy.  She told me that she quit cold turkey, and that smoke smells terrible to her now.  It has only been 3 days, but that is miracle enough.

So, now my heart is full and very tender, having counted so many blessings.  How greatly the Savior loves each of us.  How deeply he desires to give us 'all the Father hath', if we will only make the effort to qualify.  What a joy to share this wonderful good news with all the world. On top of it all, next weekend we will hear a Prophet speak!
We love you ALL!

3 comments:

Todd said...

Well, it seems that my last comment didn't really post for some reason. I'm sorry. Please do know that you're loved from here just as much as you are loved...well, truthfully everywhere you go. I am glad that the missionaries and members have so fully, and so quickly accepted you into their hearts. Reflecting on it, though, I can't really see it happening any other way. That is the way you've always operated, and what I've come to expect from our family. I would go so far as to call it the "Castillo way" and define it as strengthening bonds of love wherever we go. I've mentioned it before (and it appears that I can't help but continually repeat myself) but it is my firm feeling that when the scriptures mention, "whosoever will give up father or mother for my sake will receive an hundredfold" that the bonds of love forged in service fulfil that scripture. We gain hundreds of fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, granparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles and so forth when we serve with love.

I am grateful to have been taught, from my youth, to love and serve others. I admit that I find myself feeling very anxious that I may fail to teach those lessons as eloquently to my little ones. I find myself constantly looking back and saying along the lines of, "ok, how did grammy and poppop teach that principle?" That's even ignoring the pressure to improve upon previous generations. Well, one day at a time, I guess. I know that you weren't always naturally great at everything, at the start. You did build to it. So must I. Well, we'll try to get more consistent in the Skype calls. Our switch in church timeslot really did a number on my well-oiled system. Love you lots.

Donie said...

How wonderful to be able to feel your testimony, faith, service, and spirit from all the way across the world and so quickly! You inspire me so often! You are prayed for daily in our home! Keep the blogs coming! It's sometimes just what I need to keep me going! Love you!

Alicia W said...

Todd is right. I use a lot of your lessons to teach my children. You guys are gifted! Thank you for spreading your gifts to everyone.