Monday, April 14, 2014

La Mancha

We are nervous.   Rod had sworn that he wouldn't bring more books home. We still have way too many in storage as it is... Well maybe a copy of Don Quijote....
As you can see, we now have 2 books (of his) to send home.  He found Platero and Yo at a book store here in Fuen.  The author is a Nobel prize winning writer and this was a centennial edition.  It is a children's book and the illustrator is well known.  You wouldn't believe how happy buying this book made him.
Theeeen .....we had a zone meeting in Cuidad Real (in the 'state' of La Mancha)  So he had to go shopping for his copy of Don Quijote.  He liked the illustrator, and he found it in a store across from the Don Quijote museum.  Meant to be.
 
 

 
The Don himself, ready to tilt with a giant windmill.

Twins?

I think the comments were in a British accent.



Our Fuen sisters.


Me Too!

A sculpture of Cervantes was near by.  I will miss all the public art.

A new kind of water fountain.  The tie got a taste too.

Semana Santa or Holy Week features treats in the shape of the penitents.  And you thought eating a rabbit's ears was creepy.
See how the hood comes off ?  Gives new meaning to 'bite your head off'.  We hope to go see a procession this week. 

We got back at 8 pm and went to institute.  Afterwards we had supper.  We are getting so Spanish.
 A super size hamburger at 10:30 pm
Then, to celebrate Spring, another softball game.  Thanks again Aunt Cheryl.  Unnumbered missionaries bless you for "the Best P-day Ever".


Warming up.

Reading the rules:   Elder Castillo is in charge of all rules.

Everyone bats.

Next!

That rule about waiting to run till a fly ball is hit or caught is confusing.

See, I told you it was Spring.  Even the weeds are pretty here.

Pres. is a good teacher, even on non gospel topics.

Watch out!

 
 
 


The wave!

We are prepared!

Afterwards we went to the mission home for a BBQ. 


I always catch them With their mouths full!

Pres is a great hamburger and hot dog cook!

Yum!


What a beautiful view!  I think the food had everyone's attention though.
We have such great missionaries, and our President and his wife are FANTASTIC!
Hope you are enjoying Spring.  Happy Easter to everyone, too.  None of the beauties of this life would matter, without the hope we have thanks to our Savior's atonement and teachings.  My advice?
Count your blessings... then share them!


8 comments:

Geevz said...

So much fun! And I never regret buying a book :)

jeanene c said...

Until you have to haul it half way around the world? Well maybe not even then.

Todd said...

The way I figure I'll get around buying so many books is my committment to myself to buy only hardback books. I love their durability, and I have romantic notions of a library (one day) with shelves filled with tomes (yep, that's the word I'm going with....I think it is more evocative of my mind's image). The built in safety valve in all this is that I am very cheap, and so I buy less frequently this way.

It is an amazingly lovely area, and I'm so glad that you get to enjoy it.

So, on an unrelated note, my beautiful baby is registered for kindergarten, and I'm in denial. I mean, sure she's exceptionally bright and loving and sweet, and I have absolute confidence that she'll be successful, but I'm not sure how to be ready to have her be that grown up. How do you manage? And, be honest, will I ever feel like a grown up? Or will I always feel kind of like a phoney just winging it through life and hoping no one notices?

I love you, and miss you, though I wouldn't trade the blessings of your service for anything.

Elena said...

I love all the pictures! I try not to buy books since I've got quite a bit of experience moving them all around but those physical reminders are easier to share with other people so it's probably worth it. I love you!

Katie said...

Pres is so young! I love that you are helping make such fun memories for so many missionaries!

Alicia W said...

I read that most adults are just winging it. And I feel the same about a kid in kindergarten! Am I old enough to have a kid in the system? And I tell Eric, it's time to bring our A game. Ellie will keep memories now. We can't be casual in conversation any more.

Alicia W said...

Love you! And I've never regretted a book purchase.

Todd said...

On another unrelated note, what is the best way to contact you when I want to skype and your magicjack phone isn't connected? Or are you telling me to be responsible and set that up in advance? With the new year, we changed from 9am church to 11 am church, and it just threw off my whole system. Ah well, let me know. Love you tons!