Sunday, April 27, 2014

La Concha adventure

 
 
 
A week ago Saturday, Rod, the office elders and the APs took a branch member, Bruna and went for  a hike.  I declined to go.  It was going to be a long, steep hike and I had a lot of cooking to do for Easter.  I probably should have tried to go.  Sister Bruna is  about 10 years older than I am, but she is in better hiking shape than I.  Maybe another time.  They were hiking for about 6 hours and I don't think my knee would have stood that.  They had a wonderful time though.  Here are the photos they brought back.
 
That bandana has really been around!


Comps for ever!

Oh.  I forgot about a 'mini missionary' the APs had.  This is a member that goes on a week long 'mission' with a pair of missionaries.  He says he loved the whole experience and is even more anxious to go now.
Of course, being comps with the APs doesn't give him an accurate image of mission life, but hey!  It's a start.

The office!

High on a Mountain Top!  I have a feeling my comp is giving someone a wedgie.

Tough mountain men...er climbers!

She can 'Fly'

Feel the wind!

Waxing pensive!

The triumph!

Success!

Elder D got the camera.


Apparently there is an expression about eating the pineapple (or pine cone) that means necking.  A missionary version!


Mountain women are tough!

This shows the altitude they climbed.

Beauty finds a way.

A good man gives his arm to a lady!
We had our district meeting this week.  One sister got a package from home and shared the fun.  There was this game plus glow in the dark bubbles.  We all had to crowd into the handicapped restroom and close the door to check them out!  They were cool, but they didn't photograph well at all.

A few months ago we had a group of visitors from a military base all come to the branch for meetings.  Rod was able to keep the whole crowd of kids occupied and happy during the class block.  We called him the 'pied piper'!  The sister in the branch that took the photo  sent it to me recently so here you are.
A rousing game of' Simon Says'.

 One last set of photos.  For 3 months, Rod has been growing his hair long on top.  Finally he had enough to tease a couple of our elders. 

The gelling

The styling
 
The final product.
My sweet husband is always so good at having fun.  He brings a sense of whimsy and lightheartedness to the missionaries which they often need.  I am so grateful for him.

In Sacrament meeting today, a sweet sister spoke.  It was her first talk in church in 12 years.  She has been inactive for quite some time, and has been gradually, in fits and starts, returning to activity for the last 10-12 months.  I honestly feel that 'rescues' as we call them in our mission bring Heavenly Father even more joy than baptisms.  My logic is the 'where much is given, much is expected' idea.  It seems to me that there is a greater 'burden' lifted when they come back as there was a greater expectation.  Actually, it is probably more like loving  your own children.  You don't really love one more than another, because you love each one with all your heart.  Anyway, my heart is full of gratitude for the miracles that we have been allowed to witness.  God Lives!
Have a great week
 

3 comments:

Geevz said...

That looks like a mega hike! Bruna is my hero! I know they appreciated your time spent cooking as well.

Matt S. said...

The hikes you two go on look so fun. I can't wait to see you!

Katie said...

Great views, but probably would have stayed and cooked with you if I'd been there! Love you!