Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Gonna Miss This

I have noticed that lately most of my blogs are photos.  I expect that part of the reason is that I really like photos.  Also, they are easier in lots of ways, than writing.  I often don't feel I have that much to say, though I usually manage to come up with something.  Anyway, we have reached the end of May.  That means we only have 6 more months left.  The feeling has come to my mind lately, that as much as I am anxious to get home to family and usual pursuits, that much  and maybe more...I'm "gonna miss this" as the song says.  Therefore I wanted to record some of the delights of serving a mission, or rather serving This Mission.
First and foremost I will miss the people.  In any traveling we have done, jobs we've had or places we have lived, the most important part has always been the friends we have made.  In many cases, these relationships feel more like extended family than just friends.  I will miss the Correos lady who delivers our mail at the office, the neighbors we say hi to but seldom more that that, the ladies in the bakery, the street sweeper on our street (they have people with brooms and a wheeled trash can who sweep up their section of the sidewalks every day and we always say high to our guy), the flower sellers, our friend who mans the fruiteria in the afternoons (he has a new son) and the businessmen in the office next door to ours.  The Branch members... It breaks my heart to think of leaving them. They demonstrate such courage in the face of trials. 
Then there are the missionaries!  Those amazing young men and women feel almost like our children to us. One of the blessings of serving in the office is that we get to know almost all of the missionaries.  I tease my husband that he can make a 2 minute phone call (to get a missionaries supply order) last 1/2 an hour.  Right from the first he has used the phrase 'quierdo missionero de la mission Malaga' every time he greets a missionary and now they are starting to use it too.  He has started requiring anyone who wants a magnetic name badge to have their companion certify that they can do the 'magnetic chapa dance' with 'style and grace'.  He describes how you have to grab for the magnet whenever the front part gets knocked off (which happens a lot when he is around) then shimmy around to get the magnet out of your pants or skirt.  He usually has them rolling on the floor laughing by the end of the conversation.  I just groan.  A large number of the missionaries call him just to visit or for him to lift their spirits.  It is easy to see what amazing potential these young people have and that the Lord truly has raised up a Choice Generation to prepare the way for the 2nd coming.  It has been a great blessing for us to get to know  some of them.  I am so thankful for the electronic media that will make keeping in contact with them so much easier, especially those from other countries.
 I will actually miss living in a city,  having markets and shops steps away and seldom having to drive.  I will miss walking past little shops that sell just 1 type of thing.  Clothing shops  (I am surprised at how much more likely I am to buy new clothes just because I walk past the store windows every day) , shoe shops, 'complimentos' ( accessories), the pharmacy, the drougeria, herborista, bakeries, and candy shops  are examples.
I will miss the magic of 'chino' stores which sell anything and everything.... no two alike, with merchandise crammed into every nook and cranny.
I will miss living near the sea.  Even though we seldom actually go on the beach, I love seeing the sea in all it's different colors and moods, even when we just see it from the highway as we drive to Malaga. 
I will miss public transportation that is so easy to use and close by.
I will miss abrasos, the peck on each cheek that Spaniards use to greet everyone.
Historically important sites are just abundant here.  I will miss getting to see Roman ruins, buildings that are hundreds of years old, and seeing the exotic influence of the Moorish and Arab cultures in the architecture, designs and the names of places.  Even graffiti in Arabic looks artistic.
I will miss seeing couples holding hands, and since most residents walk everywhere they need to go, it is fairly common to be greeted on the street by members, shop keepers, even the man who walks the track in the mornings with Rod stopped us to say hello.  It is so fun to feel so connected to people here.
I will miss the smell of baking bread... I smell it often as we walk or when I open the window in the evenings.
I will miss public art... there are so often wonderful sculptures in the middle of the  'roundabouts'  in almost every city we have visited.  And the museums!!!
I will miss the roundabouts themselves.  They make so much more sense than stop signs and they help keep traffic slower but still moving.
I will miss wearing the name badge.  I have enjoyed the second looks we get when people are trying to read them.  I kind of like getting stopped in large stores and asked where things are by people who assume we are employees.
Well, I think that will do for now.  It seems I could still go on for a while.  We have too many blessings to count!!! You darling people who support us with your love, letters, prayers and comments are at the top of our list!  (of blessings)  We are praying for you too!  Thank you!

6 comments:

Alicia W said...

I should write my list of what I'm going to miss about where I am in life.

Daniel and Bonita said...

This is your sister...and I will miss your posts! But I will be glad to have you home again as well. Have a wonderful week!!!

Donie said...

This is your other sister! I have taken to writing in my journal the tender mercies of each day like Elder Bednar suggested. The funny things, special little things my children do, small stuff. It makes life so much richer, abundant, blessed, and lived purposefully when we take time to do that! Well done my dear sister! I love your musings and your testimony. Thank you for sharing them!

Katie said...

Very sweet!

Elena said...

I am discovering a lot of those things living in a city by a sea (kinda :) Except my baking bread smell is the doughnut shop downstairs on the other side of my building. Heavenly and ridiculously tempting. I'm glad you are taking a moment to savor your life right now. When you are missing art, the sea and walking everywhere you can come visit me.

Elena said...

Also the concatnative "gonna" is spelled with two n's. Thank my semester of grad school :)