Sunday, May 4, 2014

International Festival

This week Fuengirola has an international cultural celebration.  The Fuengirola ward wanted to do their own version, so we had a ward international cultural celebration that lasted most of Thursday.  The missionaries were to do a USA display, the Mijas branch did their own table and the various members of the Fuengirola ward did displays from their mother countries.  It was lots of fun, but lasted way too long for American tastes.  My part was to teach a group of members to 'speak French'.  I taught them a couple of songs in French.  Rod was asked to teach a song in English.... maybe the 'hanky panky'.  Rod objected that we didn't want them to know any more about hanky panky than they already did, and did he mean the Hokey Pokey?  Brother Jimenez said 'Oh, hanky panky, hokey pokey.... what's the difference?'  Rod then explained in his inimitable way.  Brother Jiminez agreed that Hokey Pokey would be better. Our cute Sister Belinda taught the kids 'head shoulders knees and toes' in English.
We got to the church to set up at about noon, the party started about 2pm, the paella was served at about 3:15, and after everyone tried out the AMAZING desserts everyone had brought from their respective countries we had our language 'classes'.  Mine had better pronunciation, Rod's class had the most fun, and Sister Belinda's class learned the most.  Then we watched the ward dance for a while.  We finally headed home at about 6pm.  Here are some photos of the event.
T

Our very own 'Statue of Liberty'!  The sports equipment was thoroughly enjoyed!  Sister Deere made brownies and peanut butter sandwiches as the 'American Food'.

Since we have members from all over, we had treats from everywhere.  The yellow is a rice pudding from Iran with rose water, almonds and saffron.

The little wire car is made from coat hangers and brought from Zimbabwe which is where our branch president was born, even though he is a British citizen.


Waiting for the party to start.  Center is our new single sister Missionary.

A little home sick here.
The City had a huge feria (fair or festival).  We went on Sat. after a trip to the store with Sister Nielson so that she could get a few of the things necessary to get started here.
We weren't the only visitors...

As we arrived, they were having a parade with processions from many countries, most with music and or dancing and
 native costumes.


The Japanese had that drum and some lovely dancing by women in kimonos.


This princess got carried the whole way.


From India, she danced with this sword on her head!



The men from  India also danced.




I just missed the Polynesian Dance!



Those Norse  skiers were sweating.
 
 
Cuba ?

Sister Nielson had an intense introduction to the mission.  More paella!

 
 



I think this is Guatemala.
We had lots of fun.  We ate Uruguayan grilled meat, Chilean empanadas, Greek pastries, Mexican corn on the cob and I don't know what else.  It was fun. 
That evening, our office elders again invited us to dinner.  I ate way too much but it was delicious. I am so impressed that they cook!
 
What a blessing it is to be part of an international church.  We truly love and are beloved by people from all over the world. We are all brothers and Sisters!!!
 
 

3 comments:

Todd said...

Your presence was both missed and felt at the blessing yesterday. I was toying (in my mind, at least) with the idea of having Alicia facetime you with it, but I didn't manage to set it up. And it turned out that despite a leisurely setup, we were rushing to get to the church, and then, to my great sadness, I forgot to hit the record on my phone until I'd already started the blessing. I'm so sorry. And no one is more sorry than my lovely wife. I claim full responsibility, and can only say that it slipped my mind.

Your note on facebook was especially sweet. Thank you for your kindness. Know that you are loved this whole world through, and are constantly in the prayers of my sweet little ones.

jeanene c said...

Thank you Todd. We have actually checked and using the electronics isn't appropriate during meetings. I trust that my Dad was there and so everything was done correctly :) Our hearts were with you all too. So glad the siblings were there too.

Geevz said...

How fun! I love all the colors!