Sunday, August 31, 2014

Fair and more Fair

Wow!  I missed a week.  I usually write on Sundays, but they are getting busier.  Then I didn't think about it during the week except when I was too tired to do it.  I actually had plenty of time because my compy was a little under the weather so we stayed home quite a bit.  He is pretty much over it now but he had a nice little summer cold last week. Sooo  this will be a catch up post.
 
We are getting a new Secretary in the office and so to say goodbye, Rod took the office elders carting.  While they were doing that, I grabbed Sister Neilson and we went up to Mijas pueblo.  She had never been.  It has been hazy a lot lately but that day was clear and beautiful. 

Then we stopped into the Miniature Museum, which I hadn't seen ether.  I don't quite know what I expected but it was different.  It was full of all sorts of very tiny works of 'art'.  Being dense tourist types we didn't notice all the 'no photos' signs and asked the attendant.  She said no... and then when we were the only ones there she came and said 'Go ahead but no flash and only when no one else is here.'  That is why they aren't super photos but the objects were rather remarkable.

The two at 10 and 12 o'clock (they are kind of cut off)  are made out of chewing gum (???) The one at 3 o'clock is stone about an inch tall, and the mice are metal or ceramic.  At about 8 o'clock there are some tiny paper cranes.  The notice said they were made by a visitor to add to the collection.

These were also small sculptures.

These are sculptures out of tooth picks.  They had magnifying glasses so you could see details.
There were small paintings and then minute paintings on pin heads, beans, and grains of rice which weren't visible in a photo.  There was even a human hair with something written on it.  It was actually lots of fun.  We wandered the streets and shops, had fancy ice cream and  candied nuts made on the spot by the vendor.
Check out the drinking fountain!
 Sister Nielson and I seem to have the same taste in lots of areas, plus she listens to all my stories.  It was great. I expect you will get to meet her sometime.
 
That evening we went to the closing night of the Feria at the actual fair grounds.


They put up this structure every year as the 'entrance' to the fair.  I think we arrived about 8:30 pm.

These booths sell toys and candy.  Also, at the end there is a display where they sell cups of cooked lima beans, and pieces of fresh coconut which always have water spraying onto them.

Remember last week?  Well these are the real biznagas they are selling.
They had a big fairway with lots of rides, including pony rides with live ponies.  There was a concert venue which we didn't go see.  The music was too loud for our ears as it was.  We aren't getting old are we?  Then there is a huge section where they have eating and dancing pavilions.  There were street cleaners washing the streets because during the day there are lots of horses.
I had to take a photo of the mini street sweeper. 
They have mini dump trucks and all the other equipment but sized for the tiny streets here.

I loved this senior lady posing for her photo in her party outfit.

There are 3 streets of these pavilions, all newly painted for faria.  They are just 4 walls, though some have kitchens and serve restaurant meals.  Most have a stage and speakers, tables and chairs and a space for dancing.

Instead of ceilings they have pompoms strung across the top, or these flags, or some have fabric swaged from wire to wire.   
Okay, how many people do we know in Malaga?  Maybe 20 outside of missionaries.  Well, we ran into a family we knew as we were walking around.  Apparently that last night is mostly for dancing and they thought it was funny we had come for that.  What we actually came for was to sample the fair food.  We had corn on the cob, cooked on a grill and served with butter, lemon and salt.  We had a baked potato with ham, tuna, olives, corn, cheese and Roquefort dressing. It was really quite tasty and  one was plenty big enough for both of us.
For dessert we had a waffle with caramel sauce and whipped cream, and then an ice cream cone.  Okay, now I'm hungry again.
There are several of these 'sculptures' in Malaga.  I love the idea of a boat made of water. 


We had a fun evening but were ready to go home by 10:30. 

As you can see the crowds were just starting to arrive. 

We had a visit from flat Elder and Sister Castillo.  They brought a wonderful hug from J. 
Thank you for all your love, support and prayers.  They are truly felt.  Reach out to the missionaries near you and 'pay it forward'.  Remember how blessed we are.  Share the wealth of the gospel message!  We love all of you too!

2 comments:

Geevz said...

I had already forgotten about Flat Castillos! I'm glad they made it to you. That miniature museum looks so cool!

Hermana Nielson said...

I had so much fun! Thanks for being my friend and for sharing this wonderful area with me. And hey - I envision trips between Southern California and Utah that just might happen to pass through a certain Arizona town ;)
Abrazos,
Kim (Oops! I mean Hermana Nielson... I won't get kicked out of the mission now, will I?)