Sunday, August 10, 2014

Holy Toledo

We finally made it to Toledo.  Rod keeps joking that he has been trying to engineer a trip to Toledo on various pretexts since we got here but President kept saying no.  We finally had a good enough reason, taking 10 boxes of copies of the Book of Mormon to the Young Single Adult conference.  Even the Area President said it was Okay.... So we went!!!

On the way we saw these.
These photos are taken from a moving car so patience is appreciated.


The modern ones are there too, just for contrast you understand.

 Toledo used to be the capital of Spain, till 1560.  It still has a medieval flare and has impressive walls around the center of town.  We took a series of 6 escalators just to get to it.


We are much higher than I expected.

I don't think 2 motorcycles could pass on this street. We didn't even try to drive into it and were glad.

You can see the layers of a wall we walked past.

The Cathedral is very impressive!

Notice the chairs for an idea of the scale of this alter piece.

How would you like your tomb to be inside the church?

This was looking up into the vault of the ceiling. 


As we walked down the street we heard an electric saw going and peeked into this man's workshop.   I think it belonged to his father before him.

Some of his work.

This is outside the library.

There are a lot of massive buildings.  That one is across a gorge.

My husband always says those last 3 words to me so I had to photograph it.

80% of the shops sold knives, swords and damasquinado ware.  Look Toledo steel if you don't know about it already.

A cool old door


And a cool new one.  I love the contrasts
I just thought this display was so cool

 I didn't take photos at the conference except this.  The YSA (JAS in Spanish) are the same everywhere.  We loved getting to see some of our returned missionaries and meet their friends.  They are such wonderful young people. 
Thank you for all your prayers and love.  We sure do love you!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Beautiful!

Daniel Quillen said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Jeanine (Sister Castillo!)

Geevz said...

So fun! That altar piece is fantastic. Nd I'd love my tomb in a cathedral if it had a giant dragon sculpture with it. And I think I NEED a giant wookdworked ball :)

Hermana Nielson said...

I'm glad you finally made it! What a cool place and I love the pictures - that alter piece must have been something to behold. And I LOVE those contrasting wooden balls. They remind me of boxes my son used to make. That Toledo steel is pretty cool too. Thanks for sharing!