Monday, December 8, 2014

Return Trip Adventures

I  Have Visited Africa!  Ever since my husband went to Senegal, I have wanted to visit Africa.  He got to go as a result of being 'teacher of the year' and I dearly wanted to go with him, but it was just too expensive. We went to Gibraltar a year ago which is about as close as you can get without actually being there, and while a missionary, we couldn't leave the mission boundaries without special permission, certainly not for recreation.  However, as we headed home, we planed a day trip to Tangiers, so now I have actually and officially visited Africa.


 We spent the night in Tarrifa and really enjoyed our little hotel.  They told us that the ferry ride alone was more expensive than the tour package which included a guide and dinner and a camel ride.  I am sure that the various businesses that we visited helped subsidize our trip, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

See the 'drums' up on top?  Those are life rafts.  We saw an TV show about how they are made.  Very cool!


I enjoyed the guide's information.  He told us that the city of Tangiers was once part of a dowry for a princess, and that for a while it was an international zone... not really part of any country.  It boasts residences of the king and several very rich people, and has also been used as location for several spy films. 



On the far side of the port you can see parts of the wall that used to surround the city.
 
 
You can tell it is an old city by looking at the roads.

Our first stop was for camel rides.  I had a blast!

I actually got to walk a few yards away!

Can you picture the desert sands, a burnoose and a long rifle? I have a good imagination!!! 


It was a misty day but the city was much greener than I had imagined.


The streets look like movie sets.



We got to see an actual snake charmer and saw him kiss his cobra.

Authentic Moorish tile work, actually in Morocco!

The baker

Just a very cool corner.

The shoe maker

The heavy duty truck?

Our dinner was wonderful.  We had live music, soup, couscous and chicken, mint tea and pastry.  The wait staff wore balloon pantaloons.  Soo cool!


The Egg man.

Fabric and notions.  You see the whole width of the store!

The grocer!

We had a great time in Africa!

4 comments:

Daniel Quillen said...

Awesome opportunity!

Elena said...

I want to go to Africa! Someday. Thanks for posting the pictures I love looking at them.

Hermana Nielson said...

Glad you had such a great time! I'd love to follow in your footsteps (in many ways) :)

Geevz said...

I AM SO JEALOUS!