Sunday, November 22, 2015

Mesa Adventures

I guess I never really thought about it but somehow I expected that once retired, we would just automatically go off on adventures all the time.  Well....it seems there is more to it than that. 
Inertia is a real force and is still hard to overcome, even when there aren't a dozen pressing 'things-to-do' preventing some  fun activity.  One of the pair has to choose an activity....deciding was never my strong suit.  Someone has to get any equipment for said activity.  Someone has to be sure bishopy stuff isn't on the schedule.   Both must be ready to go at the same time.  (if he's not ready, I start something, then while he is waiting for me, he starts something. )  I know! so Tough!  We are learning how though....and we are succeeding!

On the mission,  any activities were done on P day.  That made it easier to plan.  Therefore, We have set aside Friday as our activity day..... barring some special event or problem.
You remember the canoeing activity?  That was one of our first!
Three weeks ago we went on a 'hike' with Goldie....part way up to the wind cave at Usery park.  It was so nice, quiet and calm, and the weather has cooled  to  perfection. We even brought a lunch!

I was tickled by the cloud 'caught' on the ocotillo.
Thanks to husband's preplanning (he borrowed a second bicycle from one of the kids)  we got to go cycling!  This was an unexpected delight.  We used Mesa's bicycling trail by the canal....no traffic, we could ride side by side and visit, and again the temperature was perfect.   It was thoroughly delightful.  In addition to the fun of the activity, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't suffer from sore muscles afterward!
This is the only photo as both my hands were busy!



One week we took the light rail into Phoenix!  We wanted to check how long it takes to get to the airport!  It feels so cosmopolitan to take public transportation to the airport, though we did that in Europe all the time! Then we wandered around down town Phoenix for a while.  I think we needed a better focus for our visit.....next time!
 
Then last week I had a cold so the physical exertion type activity didn't appeal too much.  Instead, we went to an art fair in Fountain Hills.  We enjoyed looking at all the pretties, there is truly some gorgeous art being produced out there.  I am rather glad we own our little home though.  It's not even a temptation to buy anything.  I already have a hard time finding homes for the treasures I produce in ceramics class.
 
This past Friday we took another hike.  This time we went around Pass Mountain in Usery Park.  Rod had guessed it would take us 3 hours....Guess who is slow!  5 hours later we finished the hike.  It was gorgeous and the weather was perfect, but my knee, hip, and ...well the whole body, isn't really in shape for that long of  hike.  Still, I recovered pretty quickly and am glad I did it.  If I did that sort of thing more often, I don't think I would hurt as much.  Rod is trying to get in shape for a rim to rim hike of the Grand  Canyon early next year.  I will be driving   :)
 




Our desert is truly beautiful!



See the moon up there?


 I was very glad for my  hiking sticks!

I loved the many colors of lichen on the rocks.  That yellow kind forms a band around the whole mountain!  Sooo cool
 
I am so grateful for my sweet husband, for our beautiful world, for good health, our marvelous ward and all their love and support, and for my darling family.  I don't know how I have been so blessed but I am and will eternally be profoundly thankful to our Father in Heaven!

2 comments:

Geevz said...

How fun! I have also independently created Friday as field trip day in our house to use up our POGO passes. Maybe we'll have to team up for a couple adventures :)

Hermana Nielson said...

I LOVE that you still go on adventures! Save one for me ;)