Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Celebrations

This cutie had a birthday so we went out to lunch!  She is such fun...a consummate conversationalist and delighted with everything!


Having fun together!

See what I mean?
 When we moved into  the condo, our first 'calling' was to attend the English class that our ward runs as helpers.  Neither of the teachers speak any Spanish, so it was a great help to them to have someone there who does.  Rod quickly had other calls, but I have continued to go and come to love not only the teachers but also the students.  We shut down during the summer so we had a pot luck dinner as an end of the year celebration.  They are such fun ladies.  (We have men students occasionally, but not nearly as regularly as the sisters)
There was food for dozens of people...delicious!




We have a great time!
Rod has been working and training  for a long time in preparation for this hike.  He has wanted to hike from rim to rim in the Grand Canyon for several years.  The time finally came!  He and Alicia did it together.  I dropped them off at the south Kaibab trail head at 5:30 am. 



 They did great for the first few hours, then Rod began having pain in his knee area...the IT band.
It slowed him down quite a bit, but they persevered!


They finally made it out at 11 :30 pm.  I was  so Relieved to have them out and safe.
I had rather a lot of waiting and worrying time at that trail head.  It made me so very grateful for a loving husband and daughter.  Life is rather fragile which we often forget.  There was a quote of C S Lewis in a book I read recently.  He said that  bereavement is  part of love.  I had never thought of that before, but it's true.  However, thanks to our Heavenly Father and His plan for our happiness, that bereavement is a temporary state. No mater how things turn out in this life, we can plan on a 'happily ever after' ending to our story. No mater how hard our now is, it will all be worth it!  I am so thankful for this knowledge and testimony.  I love you!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love that age of kids when little things are so wonderful to them and it is so easy to make their day! And how wonderful that you're being able to use your spanish in such a meaningful way. And way to go Uncle Rod and Alicia! I am fairly sure I would have been in the waiting crew too, but as you said it's not as easy a job as it seems when the wait is long! Thank you for your testimony and example!