Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Yes, we are having Fun!


I talked to #1 son Sunday and he commented that it looked like we were having such a good time, he wished he could retire early and go on a Church 'vacation' too.  I thought about that for a while, it could have been several minutes.  You see, I noticed when I was a sub, that my 'neutral' relaxed face seems to have a frown look to it.  I decided then to try to actively smile so that students would know that I was happy.  When we put on our name tags as missionaries, I decided that people needed to know that this gospel brings happiness and joy, so I make even a more concerted effort to smile and be cheerful.  It also helps people try to communicate when you use humor to let them know that you are aware you are making errors but that you are trying.  The funny thing about all this is...  the act of 'putting on a happy face' increases my feelings of happiness and satisfaction.  Sooo there you are.  We are having a great time.  I get along wonderfully with my companion, I am very busy and needed, and we are having an adventure. How can it not be fun.  Well I admit that learning to drive here was Not Fun.  It was stressful, difficult, and scary.  I felt responsible if I didn't know where we were supposed to go. I also felt responsible for Rod's stress and anxiety. I finally had to go back to what I learned in the MTC.  This is the Lord's work.  He knows he is working with flawed tools.  He is still Able to do His Work! All I have to do is keep trying and relax.  Success is assured with patience and time.  Satan loses! We win! Simple.  Not easy sometimes but still, Simple!
Well, enough deep thinking for tonight.  I promised photos of our 'native speaker" comp.


At the airport

Elder Rojas and Elder Castillo
We had a special dinner with our Mijas sisters to celebrate the Relief Society's Birthday.
Aren't they beautiful?


Between courses, we had to share a talent.  I taught them Heimlich maneuver.

See the dark blue spot on the horizon to the left?  That is Africa peaking out over the clouds! Gibraltar is on the right!
I don't know what they are called here but on my mission these cars were called Deuchevaux.  US won't let them in.  Too flimsy and dangerous.  Rod says one hit him during his mission.  Totaled the car but he was fine.
Scott.  This is at the restaurant we wanted to take you to.  Pricy but very delicious! Even the garnish!
In other news for the week, we had roomies for most of the week.  The new senior couple came on Tue.  Their luggage however didn't make it.  They were troopers though.  We got them 'used' to driving a little, got them a GPS, got their residency done, and washed out their clothes a few times.  We even had a dinner with the Spainhowers, the Malaga senior couple.We finally picked up 3 of their 4 suitcases on Friday, packed the van and drove to Alcala, with them following.  The ointment still had flies though.  The duena didn't hear her phone, so we waited for 45 minutes for her to come.  When they got into the apt,  the water heater didn't work ( the native Elder got it going right away tho), the washer leaked, ect.  Still, it is a nice place and once they get things fixed up it will be perfect.  We had a nice dinner with another senior couple, the Todds, and then drove the 2 hrs back home.  A long day.  Sat we closed our Malaga apt and turned in the keys.

Olive trees....Miles and miles of them!

Wild flowers that smelled heavenly!

I caught the end of the highway under construction.  The red is a framework that they move along from pylon to pylon as they finish one section and build the next, may even be the form to pour the concrete?


 

Above you see how I spent some of my Sat.  We found table cloths but not napkins so I turned one table cloth into 9 of them.


Of course Rod took them to another level.  To celebrate Easter, we had the office elders and Fuen sisters over for a traditional Easter dinner. 

Worth the work!
 
 

These are judias.  Super size green beans, very tender and delicious.
 
 
 We had ham, cheesy potatoes, zucchini, beans and salad with lemon muffins and strawberries for dessert.  The missionaries were appropriately impressed!  (Now you know why I didn't post anything on Sunday)

 
We had such fun.  They are great missionaries.   ( the sisters got there late but they were teaching so that is good)  Easter in Spain is preceded by Semana Santa, a week off from work, lots of stores are closed, and they have processions all over where people carry figures of the Virgin Mary.  They dress in KKK costumes or rather the KKK copied these costumes.  It is a very hard week for missionary work so we were proud of them for all they did.  We sure do love you all and thanks for your support.  Keep up the good work!    
 Show the world how happy the Gospel makes you! 

5 comments:

Katie said...

I need to remember that idea of keeping a smile on my face. Some times Logan asks me, "Why does your face look like that?" and I realize I'm frowning--my concentration face. But I LOVE my life, so I should always be smiling!

I love the talent you shared:)

jeanene c said...

Thanks for leaving a comment. I sometimes wonder if anyone reads this.

Elena said...

Mom, I want to see Africa out my window! I also made a big Easter dinner with actual twice baked potatoes, I felt so accomplished. Thank you for all of your prayers, I can feel them. Thanks for all the pictures, it nice to be able to see you.
Love you!

shamers said...

I love the sentiment of making sure your face shows how happy the gospel makes you. I think most people could stand to be reminded of that lesson.

Looks like you are doing great, and I loved that peek of Africa! :) We keep you (and the other missionaries) in our prayers every day.

Anonymous said...

Health officials haven't revealed more details about the young man or whether he had an underlying health condition. The majority of serious illness and deaths have been seen in old, already sick men.