Sunday, January 9, 2022

2021….there is more than just cancer to remember!

 It's been nearly a year since my last post.  It was actually a good year over all, in spite of the challenges of chemo and radiation.  We truely felt God's love and the prayers and support of all our family and friends.

I got my cancer diagnosis at the end of January. The hardest part of this whole thing, even after a year, was telling our kids! We asked the local kids to come, adults only, in Sunday dress, for a family meeting. We were told that Scott asked if this happened often and Alicia told him never. We asked the Seattle kids to join us on video chat, and even asked Geneva to get a sub for a church assignment so they could all be there at once. First we prayed. It was a bit like a church meeting. Rod talked about some of our end of life plans and told them where papers were. Then I told them about my diagnosis. I feel how much my illness hurts and affects them and wish there were some way to avoid it, or make it easier for them.  The fact is, it can’t be done! And that pains me.  To quote Princess Bride…"Life is pain! "   Apparently it’s part of the plan, not an exception to the rule or a mistake. After the bad news, Rod told the kids we’d get through it with courage, faith and dark humor.  That’s what we have done!  It was a very tender experience with our kids. I truly felt their love. I particularly remember each other expressing their love and support. Todd mentioned that he had heard cancer described as a disease of love because one had time to mend any bridges, express love and make preparations to say goodbye. I agree. The problem is...it’s never done. From here on out, every symptom or complaint  renews the anxiety. And it’s slow, every test leads to new questions with more after that. It’s just how it is!

We'd  had a visit to Seattle planned since we missed Thanksgiving due to the pandemic shutdown. When they called to schedule my oncologist appointment, The first available was during our trip.  I almost felt I was supposed to cancel our it, but Rod said no, 1 week wouldn’t make a big difference but seeing kids would! He was right , of course!  I’m so glad we went!

Although it was cold and snowy!


Geneva’s remodel was in full swing . One of many new skills...salting the driveway!




It was so good to see darling grandkids!


We missed making gingerbread houses at Christmas so we made Valentines houses! It was fun!



Snow at Elena’s house.


Lots of fun for everyone!


Igloo built byElena and Aaron!


Snow cream and crafts!




She got a new camera!


Doing Art with Poppop was a treat!





She made buttermilk bars! She knows how to treat her dad!


Mid air!

Valentines house Boushley!


Darling little Spider-Man!

This photo on the way home seemed poignant..ending  and beginning!

I got a haircut…easier when it all comes out.  
Everyone likes how it looks.

Jase has a birthday. Life keeps going!

Eli and Poppop match! A special bond!

Their favorite activity lately is ‘this little piggy went to market’ with Poppop. It’s an adventure when he does it!

My new pots!


How the vase looks filled! I really like it!


We did some cleaning out of closets…it helps me feel in control.
This is the suit he had tailored just before he left Chile and wore at our wedding reception! I’m so impressed that he can still fit into it.



The temple is under construction. This styrofoam is used in the landscaping! It just looks so interesting! 


A fun watering can I made for Emil
It was exciting to get work back now that the studio is open again!  More soon!


1 comment:

Daniel and Bonita said...

No doubt about it....you do have beautiful grandkids and they are pretty lucky to have such a fun grandma and grandpa. I think my favorite picture, though, was Elena with her little guy above her...on her head?