Sunday, January 23, 2022

My April fools day 2021



I had my first chemo treatment on April first! As it turned out, it was an appropriate date. There were four preliminary meds given which went as expected. Then they started the Paclitaxel. It’s fairly common to have some reaction, chest tightness and red face but it usually goes away when the drug is stopped. Then after a little wait, they can restart the infusion without problems. My reaction started as soon as they began the infusion but was quite severe and didn’t go away when they stopped the drip. They repeated the steroid and Benadryl and then called paramedics in case I needed intubation. I remember feeling my lungs fill up so that each breath was smaller. I was also shivering violently. Rod wasn’t allowed to be with me because of COVID so he had gone to a store. The nurse called him, asked how far away he was, then advised him to come as quickly as possible. He knew that meant there was a big problem so he came as fast as he could. He was Speeding down the freeway in a panic when he saw the spire of the Gilbert Temple. He said he heard a voice say Slow down. As he did, he was comforted. He arrived as the paramedics were getting me on a gurney to go to the ER. Needless to say, I didn’t get chemo that day. 

It was decided I would receive the Carboplatin and then get radiation. The radiation dropped my white count so low that my chemo was postponed almost every time. We limited our interaction with people , but still managed to have some adventures.





I got back some pieces I’d made in ceramics 

We went to Dad’s grave with Mom and Bonita.  We decorated it for Veterans Day.

We didn’t get to go to Yellowstone for our family camping trip and family portrait as we’d planned (COVID) so as an alternative family portrait I made matching masks and had each family send their Covid family picture, with and without masks and put them in this clear frame, one side with and one without!

Darling grandkids and a niece and her kids sent flowers they made and letters of love!

For a couple of years I’ve made extra effort to call my sons just to visit. It’s a great joy to me that they are willing to just chat with me. The daughters always have done this. Since my diagnosis they all have called and visited more…a blessing I cherish!


2 comments:

Daniel and Bonita said...

I was so glad to see your latest posts!! I loved all the pictures of your beautiful ceramic creations. You are so creative.

Katie said...

It's good to hear your side of the stories, though mom does keep me pretty well up to date. You're pretty important to her (and me)!